FACT exposes the deceptive marketing practices used by the tobacco industry.
FACT is about empowering young people to stand up against the industry and make a change.
FACT is not against smokers - it's about getting people to understand how the tobacco industry manipulates people into smoking and getting hooked.
Tobacco Compliance Checks
Learn about the tobacco compliance check program in Eau Claire County.
Want to quit smoking?
Find help and resources at UW-CTRI's Smokers Options for Quitting Smoking.
Chippewa Valley Tar Wars
Keeping Kids Tobacco Free!
Eau Claire School District 4th graders participate in Chippewa Valley Tar Wars, an award winning, youth tobacco-free education program.
The Tar Wars program utilizes effective and interactive classroom activities and the volunteer efforts of health care professionals and educators to encourage tobacco prevention. The proven lesson plan focuses on the short-term effects and image-based consequences of tobacco use and how to think critically about tobacco advertising. A follow-up poster contest reinforces the Tar Wars message by encouraging students to creatively capture what they learned about being tobacco-free. Winning posters from area schools are entered in the state contest, and the winning state poster is entered for competition in the National Poster Contest, held annually each summer.
Click on the photo to the right to view larger images of the most recent Wisconsin Tar Wars poster contest winner!
FACT - Fighting Against Corporate Tobacco
In 2001, 300 teens from across Wisconsin gathered at the University of Wisconsin-Madison were they charged with creating the first youth-led tobacco prevention movement. After exploring the most effective ways to alter attitudes towards tobacco, the group created FACT (Fighting Against Corporate Tobacco). FACT is a movement for teens by teens to expose the tobaccos industry's manipulations and empower youths to take action and create change.
Click here to see how FACT fits into the Alliance for Substance Abuse Prevention.
By the Numbers
- 7,000 FACT Supporters
- 72 Wisconsin counties with FACT supporters
- 18% drop in Wisconsin teen smoking
- 15 FACT Youth Board of Directors
- Hundreds of local activism initiatives implemented
- Thousands of teens have been inspired
Wisconsin Teens & Tobacco
- 2,200 teens become regular smokers each day in the US (44 in Wisconsin)
- Most (89%) smokers started at or before age 18
- A third (24%) of Wisconsin high school students smoke cigarettes
- 5.3 million packs of cigarettes are sold illegally to Wisconsin teens each year
- 63% of Wisconsin high school seniors have a close friend who smokes
- Almost half (46%) of Wisconsin high school students live with a smoker
Click here for more online resources about tobacco!